[Dixielandjazz] Translation of French

Michel Miconnet michelmiconnet.djml at free.fr
Mon Feb 2 22:21:50 PST 2004

Bonjour !

Today is the 'French day' !
As French, I confirm the translations which were given :

"As-tu le cafard ?" : Do you have the blues ?

"Le boeuf sur le toit". "Boeuf" is a French slang word mainly
used by jazzmen, that means "jam session". I believe that, in
English, "jam  session" is used mainly by jazzmen, too. No ?

Anecdote : There was formerly in Dijon (Burgundy), close to the
University, a cafe named "Le boeuf sur le toit" where my buddies
of the jazz band "Les Jazzogenes" often played. The time passed
where the students were going to listen to traditional jazz :(

An attemps for other Bechet's tunes :

Petite Fleur                       Little flower

Les Oignons			   The onions

Dans les rues d'Antibes            In Antibes's streets (Antibes
                                    is a town of south of France,
                                    on the famous "Côte d'azur"

Marchand de poisson		   Fish seller

Promenade aux Champs Elysées       Ramble on (?) Champs-Elysées
                                    Champs Elysées = the famous
                                    avenue in Paris

Premier bal	                   First ball

Si tu vois ma mère                If you see my mother, but the
                                   English title is "Lonesome"

Kind regards.
Amitiés.

--