[Dixielandjazz] Cut & Paste on Recordings

Bigbuttbnd at aol.com Bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Mon Feb 2 08:21:52 PST 2004

Okay, Steve... I'm not gettin' on ya', I'm just havin' fun with ya'!

barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:
<< Therefore, any change, especially on a live album, is a somewhat dishonest
change. Is it closer to changing what a person said in a "speech". More like
changing Clinton's "I did not have sex with that woman" to " I did have sex
with that woman". Or like changing "Iraq has weapons of Mass destruction (Jan
22, 2003, Bush) to Iraq may have weapons of Mass Destruction.  Or Churchill's "I
have nothing to offer but blood tears and
sweat" to "I have nothing to offer." >>

Okay... we're splittin' hairs here... BUT.... I specifically addressed NOT
changing the original idea in my post. Compared to the examples you listed above
my example would be more like John F. Kennedy saying "Ask not what your
country can do for you, ask [cough] what you can do for your country." The cough
was not intended, and the removal of it does not change the intention or meaning
of the speech... if anything, the cough serves as a distraction to the
speech. If somone in your audience shouted an audible obscenity in between numbers
on your last recording would you hesitate to remove it before pressing 1000 CDs?

Now, admittedly, speaking directly to the examples you gave... I don't have a
problem with that, either (although that's NOT what I was talking about). If
somone wants to create a 'virtual' performance with computer enhanced audio or
video or whatever.... it's fine with me. If it's done well and interesting
I'm OK with it. I've done a lot of recording, virtual, midi-sequenced, digital
audio, analog... you name it. I've tried it all and experimented with just
about everything out there in an effort to gain expertise in all of those
techniques. And I've done a lot of Dixieland recording as well. I've always felt that
using some of the techniques that are more common in other forms of recorded
music can be advantageous from a standpoint of technique, time saving and money
saving in a Dixieland session. As a producer of a variety of types of
entertainment I have been most concerned with presenting a package that represents
'my view' (as the presenter) of that package. I guess if I were working on a
project that's main goal was to catalog and preserve an event exactly as it
happened then I would shift gears and authenticity would become my focal point.
Other than in that circumstance I would not hesitate to change whatever needed to
be changed to incorporate 'my view' of a production that was 'my idea' in the
first place.

Well that was 2 long paragraphs to say "you're comparing apples to
orangutans... oops!... oranges"
~Rocky Ball