[Dixielandjazz] Baby Dodds drumming/Charlie Parker

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 2 08:52:11 PST 2004

Brian said
> Many thanks for the input on Baby Dodds - in my not so humble opinion the
> greatest drummer of them all and one whose style is very relevant today
(or
> should be!)
Spot on

> It is worth mentioning again that even the great Gene Krupa was an admirer
> and was much influenced by his style.

Again correct and Gene was always the first to credit Baby. In fact there
was a humility in both Gene and Louis Armstrong that allowed them to freely
acknowledge where they come from. Gene always saluted Dodds, Zutty, Tubby
Hall etc and Louis always praised Papa Joe.

> I would much rather hear about these jazz greats than Charlie Parker who
> does not even play jazz - he plays bebop which is another genre
altogether.
> I am not knocking him - it is just out of place for me.

Good point Brian although I suspect Steve Barbone will not agree. I have
always viewed Be Bop as different music to the early styles of jazz.
Rhythmically it is fragmented, especially the drumming. No 4/4 or 2/4 bass
drum for example. Unfortunatly the term 'jazz' covers anything anyone wants
it to these days, whereas swing dixieland or be bop mean what they say. I'm
not anti bop or Charlie Parker (I have the Parker with Strings album and the
latin album which I enjoy) but I prefer classic jazz/ swing, so yes its out
of place to a dregree for me.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com