[Dixielandjazz] Lip Synching

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun Feb 1 17:26:24 PST 2004

>now they are Lip Synching "Live" Performances

Of course, there's a time & place for everything.  I did two separate
tours with Liza Minnelli in the mid 1970's.  On one song she did a
fantastically energetic dance at the same time as singing (real dancing,
not your "shake your bootie" stuff we see today!), and the singing was
on multitrack, with her lip syncing.  The drummer wore earphones to get
the click track from the multitrack so band & voice were in sync.

She got blasted by the press for doing this, even though it was like 16
bars in the middle of a song.  The rest of the show was live.  I saw
nothing wrong with it, as it was merely to allow her to do all those
leaps.  There was no doubt the lady could sing.

Jim