[Dixielandjazz] Artie Shaw

ALSINGERPRESENTS at aol.com ALSINGERPRESENTS at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 22:13:08 PST 2004

 In the early '40's  many days after high school we would go downtown to a
local music store ,where an understanding manager allowed us to listen to
records in the "booths". I remember listening to Artie the most!!,,,,especially
"Concerto For The Clarinet" WOW!!!...I had NO problem enjoying Artie AND Benny!
Well,about 3 years ago in January  at the IAJE in Long Beach I had the thrill of
a lifetime sitting in a room ,just a few feet away, while Artie held forth
for over 2 hours with talk and insisting the sound tech get it right so we could
hear some un-released radio remotes of his band and him performing some of
his favorite work. I still can't get over the fact that I was listening to Artie
Shaw with Artie Shaw.....when it was over I shook his hand and thanked him
for being ...ARTIE SHAW !  al  singer      (  Ask me sometime about how Little
Jazz was fired and replaced by Hot Lips...one of many stories he told that
day.)