[Dixielandjazz] NYTimes.com Article: Star Bandleader Artie Shaw Dies at 94

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 21:51:15 PST 2004

In a message dated 12/30/04 8:32:27 PM, ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu writes:

> Shaw was often asked about his supposed rivalry with fellow
> >clarinetist Goodman. He said: ``Benny, who was every bit as
> >dedicated as I was, wanted to be an instrumentalist -- he
> >was a superb technician -- while I wanted to be a musician.
> >I think my mind was more complex than his.''
> >
> >---

THE LAST QUOTE FROM ARTIE, PRETTY MUCH SUMS HIM UP, A TALENTED COMPLEX
INDIVIDUAL WHO CONTRIBUTED EVERYTHING HE THOUGHT HE HAD TO THE WORLD OF JAZZ & MUSIC
AT LARGE.

THANKS ARTIE,   EVEN IF THAT'S ALL THERE IS.   You done good Old Son.   we
should all just be thankful for his wonderful contributions and let him finally
R.I.P.   Which is what he seems to have wanted anyway.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins