[Dixielandjazz] Tagging the Music was Metal & Jazz - Something in common?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 29 07:49:16 PST 2004

Don Hale <Kmstrmldr at aol.com>  wrote:

In a message dated 12/27/2004 3:41:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:
Just imagine how difficult it must be to discuss Rock intelligently with all
those categories. Wow, so much music, so little time. :-) VBG
Hi Steve,

Sure it's difficult but we have the same problem with this list.

This is a Dixieland JML and, under the blanket expression "OKOM" we discuss
all kinds of other jazz.

"Dixieland" or Traditional Jazz has always been enough for me on this
list.........after all when the expression "America's only original art
form" was first used, it referred to the above.

I enjoy, listen to, and buy more modern forms, especially Mulligan, but I
don't discuss it here as I think it is inappropriate on this list.

If we, on this list, can't limit our discussion to the original premise of
the list, why should the tenor of your post be any surprise??

And a good musing it is. But then, how do one define "Dixieland"? To many,
Mulligan is Dixieland, after all it is pure polyphonic counterpoint in the
traditional sense.

So how can one stick to the "original premise" of the list, even if one
assumes that he/she "knows" what the original premise is and can speak for
the rest of us as a jazz policeman would in correcting the evil doers.

I think perhaps, "America's only original art form" referred to "Jazz", not
Dixieland since "Dixieland" as applied to a style of music, did not come
into usage until the mid 1930s, bringing with it a full load of excess
baggage.  Before that it referred to "The South". Like in "Tom Brown's Band
>From Dixieland", or "The Original Dixieland Jazz Band." Both references
therein are to location, e.g. South or Southern, and not to a musical "Art
Form".

And, regarding the tenor of my post, perhaps you missed the less than subtle
implication that we (bandleaders who lead Dixieland bands and OKOM jazz
festival promoters) should be figuring out ways to introduce the music to
the jazz oblivious, the general audience. And that the references to Rock
and Country were by way of example, an indication of the absolutely pitiful
job that we are doing in that regard.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone