[Dixielandjazz] Betty Boop

Shortuba at aol.com Shortuba at aol.com
Tue Dec 28 14:05:07 PST 2004

Hello all -

Even though I'm in my 50's now, I only had contact with Betty Boop cartoons
by way of clips that were occasionally shown on TV.  Yesterday at Best Buy I
was looking at the cheap DVD bin and found a double set for $5.99.  Imagine my
suprise when I saw some of these!  They used a mix of filming of real people
and animation, and one of them (I haven't looked at all of them) has Louis
Armstrong and his band in 1933.  I don't really recognize anybody in the band, but
the sax players DO look familiar.  Does anyone know who these folks were?

Another cartoon has Cab Calloway from 1931.  Both cartoons were demeaning in
the way they portrayed blacks, and especially equating Louis' group with
cannibals in the animation.  Of course, it didn't bother most of the whites
watching it at the time - consider when it was made.  And I'm sure they jumped at the
chance to be seen by millions of "mainstream" viewers (to apply a modern term
to something from that period).  Can't wait to see the rest of them and see
who else is there!

Mike Short
Des Moines, IA
Red Rose Ragtime Band (Chicago)