[Dixielandjazz] Ben Ratliff (NY Times) Waxes Nostalgic

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Dec 26 16:09:20 PST 2004

Hi all,

Since I do a traditional jazz show at a radio station (kfjc.org) that
is known for presenting the most extreme forms of "music" I get to hear
all sorts of unusual forms of music that might be called jazz by some -
it now really is a catch-all term for improvised, "real instrument" or
"electronic-turntable-computer plus real instrument" music that can
have either roots in various historical themes or be nebulous
spontaneous creations - whatever this 21st Century is going to be, the
term "Jazz" will still be around.

One of the recent CDs we received is from a Belgian group called Flat
Earth Society or FES - they are a 20+ member orchestra that digs back
to the early days of jazz but takes it to extreme  modern levels. There
is a New Orleans Dirge, a few swinging stomps and a lot of other
oddities. I KNOW most of you on this list will probably run away
screaming, but maybe some might actually enjoy hearing what is
happening outside the sphere of TRAD OKOM. One of their CDs is an
exploration into the heart and soul of Louis Armstrong: St Louis Blues,
Memphis Bound, Black and Blue, Perdido Street, Little King Ink, Lucky
Ol' Sun, Caravan, Plenty o' Nuthin, WWW and a few more! I have not
heard all of it yet, but I am waiting for a shipment from Euro-land
(and taking a big hit from the weak US$.)

The CD we have is a collection of their early work on a US label Ipecac
( yes, vomit inducing, I know...) called "Isms" and they also have a
website at www.fes.be  where you can hear a few samples of their other
CDs. Amazon has the Isms CD with short samples.

I bet they would b a fun group to see live ;-)

Dave Richoux