[Dixielandjazz] Ben Ratliff (NY Times) Waxes Nostalgic

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Dec 26 14:42:45 PST 2004

One interesting thing about this is the implicit maybe explicit
recognition here that fine modern jazz doesn't have to be reaching for
something entirely new. I think we're hard-wired to respond to
improvisation that's firmly anchored in song structure. We get that
with early jazz, swing and modern jazz, up to but not including
free-form jazz, where dependably recurring underlying patterns are
gone. Ratliff isn't asking "Where's the next Coltrane?" or bemoaning
the fact that no new trails are being blazed in the best two CDs of the
year. Too bad that so many in the wide-excritics don't take another
step and acknowledge today's OKOM players by bringing this appreciation
of good-jazz-now to premodern jazz players.

Charlie Suhor