[Dixielandjazz] Mingus story

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 14:24:15 PST 2004

Great story, Steve!  That must have been the "Mingus-Ah-Um" era band, with
Jimmy Knepper, Booker Ervin, Dannie Richmond and all those guys, right?
"Better Get It in Your Soul," "Boogie Stop Shuffle" and "Goodbye Porkpie
Hat" -- great stuff.

Mingus was the first "modern" jazz musician I paid attention to.  The critic
Martin Williams hosted a syndicated jazz radio show sometime around 1958 (I
was still in grade school, but was listening to Kid Ory, Don Ewell and Lu
Watters) that was aired on Denver's classical music station.  One night
Williams played Mingus' Pithecanthropus Erectus.  I was immediately
impressed.  Bringing order-out-of-chaos:  I've always thought that was the
key to digging Mingus.  Too many Mingus disciples focus on recreating the
chaotic sections of his music, rather than their resolution; but Mingus was
a superb melodist who never left you out in the ozone.  He had a deep
appreciation of jazz tradition, too, writing a very cool and catchy piece
dedicated to Jelly Roll Morton... also on "Mingus-Ah-Um," come to think of
it.

I got to see Mingus, finally, in the mid 1970s.  He played Boulder High
School, of all places.  He was still a monster -- and Dannie Richmond was
still drumming for him.

Happy holidays to everyone on this very interesting e-mail list.

Ed Danielson