[Dixielandjazz] Courses for Musicians / Band Leaders

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 12:41:52 PST 2004

Listmates:

Given the recent threads about Juilliard grads not working, and Dixieland
bands not able to get New Years Eve Gigs it would see that the first
business course offered to musicians/bands should be:

How To Get Gigs - 101.

Question is, would any of us who are not working regularly, enroll?

NAH. We sit around waiting, year in and year out, for opportunity to knock.

Best piece of music business advice I ever got was: "It is one thing to hear
opportunity knocking, but it don't mean a thing unless you open the door".

YCDBSOYA! Which for the uninitiated is an acronym for:
You Can't Do Business Sitting On Your Ass.

Suggest (oh no, not again) that we play where the PEOPLE are. E.G. As of
today I have over 75% of the Sunday Evenings next summer, (June through
September) already booked at Public Park Concerts and other such events for
the "jazz oblivious". Why don't we all?

No gigs around? Don't you believe it. This past summer, a Dixieland Band
leader from OHIO had a week long tour in TEXAS, at various schools, using 6
musicians from the Midwest and East Coast. They made good money. Are any of
you who live there doing that? Or even aware that your school systems could
afford to bring a Dixieland band from afar, for a week or two?

Repeat YCDBSOYA.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone