[Dixielandjazz] CD Reviewers - Redux

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Dec 17 11:23:16 PST 2004

In a message dated 12/17/04 9:12:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bethv at portafortuna.com writes:

> You're wrong there, Tom - or at least you would have been last year. Up to
> that point, Sonoma State had offered a Music Business course as well as a
> Songwriting course that also covered how to submit materials for review.
> Both classes were taught by a record producer who has a few Grammies under
> his belt.
>
> Unfortunately, with the demise of the California budget, that instructor
> along with all the classes he taught have been eliminated from the
> curriculum to save money. He was not tenured so was one of the first to go.
> But the classes are still in the catalog, so there's still hope for their
> return someday!

Hi Beth:

  There are exceptions to the generic message that I was trying to get
across, however in all practicality, Sonoma State is not in the Entertainment
capitol of the USA and certainly does not reach enough musicians in those classes to
get the word out.

There is some coverage on some issues at a few universities now, after folks
like me have screamed about it at conventions and trade shows and conferences
for years, not being in the courses offered at every school that teaches
music.

It is fitting that Sonoma State would have such a teacher for the project, as
that geographic area indeed has many residents that have Grammy's and
nominations from the Music Industry.  Many Musicians and former Rock stars and actors
and other show business folks live in that stretch of California.

And yes it is shameful that it was cut from the budget, however it just goes
to show ya that once again, that Music has for a long time been at the top of
the list for budget cuts, and whose fault is that?  Especially in Schools,
Speak out, scream and yell about it at every opportunity, stop being passive, the
meek shall indeed inherit the Earth, about six feet of it.   Do not go down
without a fight.  Heck go beat up the Superintendent with a Clarinet if you
have to. :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
( who had a few Grammy nominations as well)  :))  for Producer of the Year
category, and was the recipient of the Trendsetter of the year award for
International Marketing of phonograph recordings.