[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Years Eve Gig

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Fri Dec 17 06:50:37 PST 2004

-------Original Message-------
> From: "Steve barbone" <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
>
>  Bob and List Mates:
>
>  Barbone Street has been booked since January 2004 for December 31, 2005.
>  Doing a double. First one is the opening hour of a First Night celebration
>  from 6 PM to 7 PM. Second one is at an upscale Retirement Complex, from 8:30
>  PM to 12:30 AM. Both local within 20 miles.
>
>  First gig pays $2100. Second gig pays $3600. (Six piece Dixieland band)

Ah, the economy of the east coast. Here in Springfield, Missouri, the heart of the midwest, First Night offers a maximum of $250 (for any size group). Even the country clubs have gone to the lowest bidder the last few years. They get what they pay for but the patrons don't seem to know the difference or care. Certainly, there are a few gigs here and there. Very few. Even those are maxing out at $125/man for four hours. We haven't played a New Year's Eve gig for several years because I won't stoop that low and, honestly, I've found I like being home that night anyway....so it works out great for everyone, I suppose.

Dave
Dave Gravatt
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band