[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Years Eve Gig

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 06:06:36 PST 2004

"Bob Romans" <cellblk7 at comcast.net> asked

> Just wondering how NY's Eve is shaping up for my listmares out in Dixieland
> Jazz Land! Cell Block 7 doesn't have a New Year's Eve gig...probably because
> bands have priced themselves out of the celebration. Isn't it usual to ask
> double what you usually ask...or triple? Putting up with long drives on
> highways where there are a lot of people who have had "one or two"...better to
> celebrate at home?
> Curious in Lodi...

Bob and List Mates:

Barbone Street has been booked since January 2004 for December 31, 2005.
Doing a double. First one is the opening hour of a First Night celebration
from 6 PM to 7 PM. Second one is at an upscale Retirement Complex, from 8:30
PM to 12:30 AM. Both local within 20 miles.

First gig pays $2100. Second gig pays $3600. (Six piece Dixieland band)

Basically, because we are a "working" band that supplies music to a broad
variety of venues all year long, we have a lot of pull through requests for
the date. We turn down several New Year's Eve gigs each year because we are
already booked so early.

The Retirement Community gig is a repeat performance from last NYE.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone