[Dixielandjazz] Rude Musicians

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 11:30:49 PST 2004

Arnold Day <arnieday at optonline.net> wrote

> I recognise all those good point, Steve, but there is no excuse for the
> downright rude behaviour of a handful of top OKOM players, "Good morning Mr,
> X, thanks for the great music. Do you mind if I ask you a question? You made
> an LP with Y and Z sometime in the 1960s but there is no recording date on the
> cover. Do you happen to remember when that was recorded?" Answer...."Go find a
> good discography"....walks off without a smile!

You are right, there is no excuse for anyone being rude. However, in defense
of the situation above, it is a very tough question. Most of us don't
remember where we were in the 1960s at any time, especially a working jazz
player on a particular recording date out of many. The answer should have
been, however, a simple "No", regardless of the musician's opinion of the
question.

The only "reliable" data on recordings comes from guys like list mate Bill
Haesler who has corrected me more than once on my own faulty memory about
certain recordings and/or past jazz events which I even personally attended
50 years ago.

Bill has always been right too, except where opinion and not fact is
involved. ;-) VBG.

> Now, one the greatest communicators was Jimmy McPartland. He would work the
> room like a comedian, usually with an armful of LPs of him or his then
> ex-wife, hawking them like a street newspaper seller.  He would sit and chat
> with anyone during the breaks or after the show. He loved his audiences. Not
> the greatest jazz trumpeter of all time, but a wonderful, warm gentleman.

Yes, he was a special person, as is Marion.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone