[Dixielandjazz] Early Jazz In NYC - Jan 6, 2005

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Sat Dec 11 10:27:27 PST 2004

From: rahberry at comcast.net
> "...The Arizona festival last month had John Cocuzzi, John Sheridan, Phil
Flanigan, Allan Vache, and Jeff Hamilton who played several sets each
day...."

Great!  I believe they let John Sheridan put that group together as his
"Dream Band," didn't they?  I've seen several Cocuzzi solos in which I
thought there'd be smoke rising from the vibes any minute because he gets
cookin' so hot.

Phil Flanigan, one of my favorite bass players, will miss the Jubilee for
the second year in a row for lack of an invite. I think, perhaps, Jubilee
budget cuts have led to having Howard Alden's EAST COAST All-Stars play with
a WEST COAST bass player (Dave Stone, also a wonderful bass player, but
maybe they should cut the "East Coast" title). At least I can see Phil in
early March with "Allan Vache's Big Four" at the Dixieland Monterey
Festival. That will be a chance for Californians to hear the tasty sounds of
Orlando cornetist Davy Jones, also part of Allan's awesome quartet.

Steve is right that it IS SAD that we can't guarantee Ed Polcer's All-Stars
a decent paying audience. I'd really like to see something come together
between now and Feb. 21st when they pass through town. Any sponsors or
volunteers out there to help make this happen?