[Dixielandjazz] Songs one hates.

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 08:39:45 PST 2004

Wow! With my expressions of adoration for the great WWW I started a big
thread but how about a couple of other add on bits.

>From what I have seen musicians view'songs one hates' from a different
perspective. Basically some one is paying them to perform and if a rich patron or
punter, or in Steve B's case a pretty girl, asks for a song there is an
obligation to perform that tune no matter how much it might be detested for whatever
reason. I am not a musician and therefore can pick and choose my tunes either
on record or at a live gig. In the first case I can simply not buy the album or
edit it's playing (CDs are very handy in that the players can be programmed
to skip a particularly disliked tune) and in the second, unless it is a fixed
seated concert where sticking fingers firmly in the ears is rather obvious and
does not actually work, one can be overcome with the pressing needs of nature
and make a dash for the loo by the time the first bars of WWW are complete. (I
find that band members' attempts at Louis impressions in that song are such
an effective emetic!)

Anyway do member of the DJML feel that musicians pet hates are different from
those of there audiances? Also is there any musician out there who has had a
reverse request where a punter or promoter has promised drinks, money   or
even very personal favours if the band DOES NOT play a certain melody?

Cheers,

Jerry
Norwich
U.K.