[Dixielandjazz] Who was Teddy Bunn?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 9 06:46:17 PST 2004

> "Luis Daniel Flores" <luda at arnet.com.ar> wrote

> I just finished hearing this wonderful guitar  with Charlie shavers and
> Johnny Doods  in Melancholy (1938) Any details about him?

Teddy Bunn, a much overlooked black guitarist, was born in Freeport, Long
Island, New York. His playing reflects a blues based influence.

Among others, in the 1930s he played with: Ellington, Red McKenzie, Mezz
Mezzrpow, and John Kirby (along with Shavers) His single string solos are
very fluid for the period as are his chordal passages, or when the two
techniques are mixed. All of us who grew up on Long Island or in New York
City were fans of Teddy Bunn. (and Charlie Shavers)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone