[Dixielandjazz] Re: Info Please, HOt 5 & Hot 7 Recordings

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 01:13:37 PST 2004

Bill said
>I am sure singer Eva Taylor would have been similarly dismissed if it had
not been for the extensive exposure on husband Clarence Williams' many
records. Some of which also included Louis. If Ms Christian was a 'bad'
singer, I am sure Louis would not have been on 8 of her recorded sides in
1928. Nor would she have made 16 titles for the popular Okeh label between
>March 1926 (with Johnny St Cyr and Jimmie Noone) and Dec 1928.

I take issue with Bill over Miss Christian. She was an awful singer by any
standards. Her pitching is dreadful. Eva Taylor was a superior in every way.
That said, I think the records are wonderful. I doubt that Louis would have
had any artistic say over who he recorded with. My guess is that it was a
paying gig and he took the money and ran.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com