[Dixielandjazz] New Venue Question

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 7 07:46:06 PST 2004

Heck Jerry, WWW was a HUGE HIT IN GREAT BRITAIN when it first came out,
quickly selling, I believe, about 600,000 records. It then became a HUGE HIT
worldwide, except for the USA. You chaps were prescient. :-) VBG.

Not only that but Louis himself LOVED the tune. However problems with it's
release in the USA (that's another story) and the haughty attitude of the
OKOM jazz literati doomed it in the beginning.

Of course it became a HUGE HIT in the USA a couple of decades later when the
regular folks (jazz oblivious) got to hear it from Robin Williams. Just goes
to prove my point that the small band of OKOM literati who heard it first in
the USA, often don't have a clue as to what they are hearing and/or its
relative "artistic worth". :-) VBG.

You were one up on us in the UK and the rest of the world.

Cheers,
Steve