[Dixielandjazz] Whores and Big Bands

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Mon Dec 6 01:22:46 PST 2004

Some really good comments Tom.  It's true we dropped the ball in the 80's
and we really didn't see it coming but looking back that group needed to
come to an end and I needed to get on with my music.  I said to the drummer
in one of my disagreements with him that when we are 60 look around and see
who's still playing.  I'm still at it but the other two aren't.

The advantage that a DJ booker has over us is that he can, like any other
merchant, make multiple sales for the same date but we can only make one.
So because of that fact alone his advertising becomes more effective
therefore cheaper.  More bang for the buck.  How many times have I turned
jobs over to other bands or lost them because I was already booked.  I have
never been a booker so I didn't have a stable of bands handy.  That could be
a failing but people can just do so much.  I kind of like to keep the wife
happy too.

DJ's in my city have full page yellow page ads.  That costs a bundle.  Bands
have one small line.  As they used to say where's the beef.  Again the power
goes to the bucks.  We simply can't compete in the advertising field.

I see it as the musicians fault too: bands that stretched breaks too long;
ate when they weren't supposed to; heavy drinking;  bookers that put
anything out there and called it a band; starting late; not looking
professional.  The union was at fault too in not to this day recognizing
that the part timer is important, making rules that kept musicians from
competing such as having a sound engineer to work your guitar amp and PA, no
drum machines.  It's not all about the Symphony musician or Show musician or
the headliner but it's about the guy who is out there jobbing and booking
singles too.  Our local has alienated almost everyone with their infighting,
inaction and support for the full timers mainly the symphony.  Virtually
everyone I know has dropped out.

Three years ago, because of some statements in the locals newsletter, I had
a conversation with one of the officers and told them that I was going to
use electronic backing and that I was going to treat the musicians as sub
contractors and not employees  but that I would always pay scale or more.  I
was going to hire non union musicians but if they wanted their names and
phone numbers so they could call them that was OK with me since they had
them all in the union book anyway.    They told me I could do anything I
wanted.  They didn't care how I kept my books (This is contrary to rules by
the way).

I was ready to walk out if any of my comments to them caused them any
problems.  So far I'm still a member and no one has hassled me.  They want
my dues.

There has been a rumor that the Symphony people are wanting to go with
another union but I don't know how true that is.