[Dixielandjazz] dixieland and dancing

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 14:14:58 PST 2004

In a message dated 12/3/04 12:25:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
acjspres at aol.com writes:

> The key is to go play where the kids`are hanging out....a few years ago we
> approached a club owner and suggested a monday night weekly gig as a swing
> dancing night. We agreed to play for free for two weeks to get the gig....we
>
> packed the joint and were there for over a year. Lessons from 7:00 to 8:00
> pm
> and the band from 8:00 to 11:00 pm. The key is to hook up with your local
> swing
> dance (not ballroom dance) crowd. The beauty is we never get asked to play a
>
> latin nor a waltz...just good jazz. East coast "Condon style" dixieland.

Atta Boy Joe:   Good on ya man, that's what it takes ingenuity to go make
gigs happen and stay with em long enough to make them profitable, just like any
other real business.

A Band is a business and you have to make investments into it with time and
money to get it ready for the market and then you have to showcase it and
promote it Market it continuously to keep it working and turning dollars.  Thinking
outside the BOX works, go find a bigger Box and move into it. :))

Try doing the same thing a few afternoons out at the local Colleges in
Arizona, go play a free show during Lunch hour and see how many paid gigs you will
book as a result, not to mention turning on a whole new audience that won't get
exposed to it anywhere else.

Take those dancers with you and watch them sign up new members as well.

Before you know what happened you too will be playing 160 gigs a year and
selling CDs and be a very profitable business.  It usually take about fifteen
years of working your butt off to wake up and realize that you are an overnight
success.

Unless of course you are a Blues singer, then you have to do it for fifty or
sixty years before you achieve Legend status and get discovered when all the
90 year old ones die.  :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins