[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Orleans Jazz Vipers; St. Louis

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Dec 2 15:02:49 PST 2004

Yes that's in the dim past.  He has been dead for sometime and Gaslight
Square sunk back into the mist like Brigadoon.  The people of St. Louis
collectively turned their back on Gaslight square where many greats
performed.  The problem was security.  While the square area had good
security the blocks around it where people had to park was like swimming
with sharks.  If you had a few and then had to walk in semi darkness three
blocks to your car through deteriorating neighborhoods where someone could
rob you and then step back in his living room and watch TV was taking your
life in your hands.  Some gaslight square patrons lost theirs.  Gaslight
square ist kaput!!

I was young and broke most of the time in that era with a young family. I
was in college part of that time.  I played music and had little time to go
listen to it in those years.

Singleton Palmer performed at the great jazz festivals that were held on the
riverfront but they didn't last long either although they were well attended
as I recall..  The jazz festival moved to St. Charles and sort of fizzled.
I saw him one time and on TV a couple of times.

There is nothing comparable to Gaslite square today.  Having said that St.
Louis is reviving the Washington Street area and that looks pretty
impressive (lots of clubs) but they don't feature OKOM nor does the
Laclede's landing area.  There are some jazz clubs there but since I'm not a
bar hopper I really don't know what's there at any given time.