[Dixielandjazz] the late Fred Parkes.

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Tue Aug 31 21:14:06 PDT 2004

It's sad to read of all the great practitioners of our wonderful art form dropping off the perch lately.  I enjoyed Jim Beebe's feisty contributions on the list and will miss him. I'm sorry I never heard his music.  My posting about the clarinettist Freddy Parkes may not mean anything to anyone outside Australia, but if anyone is interested, I can e mail an attachment of the obituary by Kenn Jones & Graham Coyle that appeared a couple of days ago in the Melbourne "Age" newspaper.  In 1973, Len Barnard wrote, " If Whitney Balliet's description of jazz as the 'sound of surprise' is valid, then Fred should be playing in every jazz club in the world simulaneously".  I don't know what that means, but it sounds good.

Best wishes to all,
Sam Meerkin.