[Dixielandjazz] Jim Beebe remembered

Dave Hanson jazzdude at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 30 08:46:48 PDT 2004

Hello to all the listmates. Several months ago Jim had asked me to burn a CD he recorded in 1981 which was a PBS radio show in Chicago, hosted by the one and only "Studs" Terkel. It is quite interesting as Jim brought to the studio, samples of assorted trombone players, starting with the very first trombone recording by Arthur Pryor in 1903. Additional dialog with Jim and Studs is quite a treat and shortly after the first few I burned, Jim asked for several dozen, which he wanted to send to friends. Some of you might have received a copy.

I was shortly after this, the Jim told me, and others, I'm sure, that he was going to an assisted living facility, and that's the last I heard from him.

I never met Jim in person or talked with him on the phone, but we shared many emails, including pictures of him in the Marine Corps and his exploits in San Francisco and other stories to numerous to mention.

In his honor, I will offer anyone on this list a free copy of this broadcast. I think Jim would have liked
the idea. May he rest in peace !

Dave Hanson
Trombone
Atlanta