[Dixielandjazz] Don Lambert

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Wed Aug 25 21:17:06 PDT 2004

Arn,

Although a great admirer of his piano playing I am no authority on the life
and work of Don Lambert, the little I know about him comes from liner notes,
books and word of mouth.

So far as I am aware the sides issued by Bluebird are Lambert's only studio
recordings therefore I presume that the material on the IAJRC and Pumpkin
LPs must have come from privately recorded tapes.

The four 1941 Lambert tracks on the French RCA Harlem Stride Pianists double
LP set came from the Bluebird session. In the liner notes (written by Johnny
Simmen) is the following comment :

"Don's death (in 1962) was to coincide with the publication of the fine LP
he recorded for Harriet Janis and Rudi Blesh."

Maybe our resident expert Bill Haesler can enlighten us about this LP. I
thought that I had all the available commercial releases but do not have
this one, Rust does not mention it (hardly surprising as Rust restricted
himself to jazz records made between 1897 and 1942). Indeed I have never
seen a copy - did it appear on the market in a different guise perhaps?

I am not acquainted with Harvey Ballance nor do I know any details of what
is on the Lambert tapes he has. However I am fortunate enough to own two CDs
which he made, as I said in my previous posting although the audio quality
of the original recordings is abysmal the music is astonishing. As for Mike
Lipskin, although we correspond very infrequently he has told me nothing
about the Lambert tapes in his possession - all I know about them is that
Mike plans to transfer the contents to CD which he will release in due
course.

John Farrell