[Dixielandjazz] Joe Ashworth - Memorial Jazz Jam - East

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 21:32:17 PDT 2004

Just returned from the Memorial Jam in honor of clarinetist Joe
Ashworth. 7 hour drive round trip to play about 40 minutes.

It was worth it. Joe would have loved it. A large group of his friends
and fellow jazz musicians got together in an old cow barn/music studio
on a farm in Northwest New Jersey and played their hearts out.

Bash was hosted by Bill Taggart, tubist for the Southampton Dixie Racing
and Clambake Society Jazz Band 40 years ago. I was lucky enough to be in
that band 50 years ago, shortly after it was formed and remained until
1962 when I quit playing and moved out of NYC. Joe joined the band that
year.

What a treat to play again with Bill Barnes (tpt), Connie Worden (bjo),
Bill Donahoe (wbd). They were in the SDRCS at that time and we hadn't
seen each other since 1962. Wow, did they get old.;-) VBG

Also a big treat to play with Barry Bockus, (Bassist with New Black
Eagles), Rick Knittel. Trombonist with Fore River Jazz Band, and Ed Metz
pianist and leader of The Bob Crosby Bobcats.  Barry came in from
Connecticut and Rick from Maine. Some on the DJML will know Rick as a
List Mate. Ed(also a list mate) and I have played together a few time
and it is always a pleasure for me. They are all staying over and will
play again tomorrow, but I could not due to prior commitments. There
were many other solid players, fans, friends of the late Joe Ashworth
who felt the urge to remember him with a jam session. It was an honor to
be there.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone