[Dixielandjazz] Starting a Band

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 10:05:22 PDT 2004

> I'm a newbie to this list, but I'm enjoying the various threads.
> I've just returned from an incredible week at Sacramento's Adult
> Dixieland Camp.  And I've returned with a mission:  I want to form a
> Dixieland band.  But being only an intermediate cornet/trumpet
> player, myself, I lack the theoretical expertise that might be
> essential.
>
> I'd appreciate any ideas/ suggestions, advice, etc. I might take into
> consideration in forming a band from scratch.

All of us have learned by example from others:

Probably you are aware of the Sunday afternoon jazz clubs with jam sets in
Canoga Park, Covina, Anaheim, Southgate, Santa Monica, & elsewhere. That's a
good way to find other players. Also it is a way to learn to make music with a
bunch of strangers. They told me at the Mizel Center in Palm Springs, there were
several bands playing for fun in their milti purpose room.

The San Diego club clinics on one Thursday evening per month are a good
source of information about the playing process of a band. It is run by Al Adams &
Hal Smith. Also the San Diego traditional jazz camp is helpful in teaching the
cornet player (you) how to signal & guide the other players during tunes.

Finding a simpatico combination of players that also play on the same level
is a long & uncomfortable process. Hurt feelings & angry people can be a
bi-product of that. There are no good answers for that one. Therefore you, being a
leader, may not get as many opportunities to play with outside groups as a
non-leader might.

If you are inquiring about how to find gigs, I think every member of this
list (except maybe Steve Barbone) is troubled with that same situation.
Convalescent hospitals and some senior centers are grateful for free entertainment.

I am familiar with two bands in Southern California where sit-ins are
encouraged on their freebie gigs. Contact me off list if you are interested in doing
that.

Hope this helps.

Tom Loeb
www.hotsytotsyboys.com