[Dixielandjazz] LURKERS, a continuing thread

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 19 22:02:13 PDT 2004

I guess that I could be classified as a LURKER--after reading all the previuos contribution to this thread, I feel like a novice amongst the cogniscenti.

Looking for the derivation of the expression "MOULDY FIG", a cognomen of a high school peer, DJML appeared on the search engine and joining was easy. My high school buddy always requested certain jazz records on the three programs featured on KRE (Berkeley, Ca) in particular was the "CLAMBAKE PROGRAM", airing after 10:30  in the evening.

Many of the request were for certain performers, which were found on "Race Records"as they were called in the 30's and early 40's. Some records were played in the afternoon program, in particular was the recordings of "Hughes Pannassie, (sp) Hot club of France. With Django and Grappelli playing with expatriate American Musicians.

Swing held a attraction for me, leaving Sweet to those who fell captive to Frankie. Dancing (Jitterbug etc) allowed a certain amount of personal expression. However, the constant sounds from Mouldy Fig's request began inroads towards another genre.  I was hooked. Besides the usual diet of Satch, Jelly Roll, Bessie, King Joe,etc. etc.Stride piano, Boogie Woogie, ie: Pinetop, also held sway. Being somewhat of a loner, I began to look for lesser known artists and found many hidden in Race Record stores. Unfortunately, many of that collection found an early grave during WW II.

Then the rumours of a Dixieland band practicing in Oakland on Canyon Road. BIG BEAR INN. I was weaned. Entrance was obtained ( ask Phil Elwood) and so began the sweet journey with all the members of the Lu Water's group. As a teen aged regular to the Dawn Club, I became acquainted with a first name basis with most of the band. After the war, taking piano lessons from Wally. To no avail, as football and piano practice did not mix.

During this time, Sunday mornings were spent watching the remote broadcast from the Dawn Club, "Jive at 1105" , featuring Ted Lenz. Radio Station KYA.

As to MKOM, I feel that WWII broke up most of the swing bands and as certain chairs were filled with new and younger faces, thoughts of experimental styles were being explored along with many of the musicians already occupying chairs with similar ideas. Listen to some of the late 1943, 1944 records of some of the Big Band.

Being somewhat catholic in my tastes, for me, MKOM  died in 1944, however with the Pacific Coast resurgence started by Lu and family. There now exists many great bands playing all my favorites and many other obscure tunes to satisfy my needs. To further my wants and needs I play many CD's , the 33 1/3's and of course Volunteer in the Sacto Trad Jazz , which has opened up it's spectrum to other forms and styles,  Which allows me to search out bands playing MKOM. Finding new ones every year.  This is my annual cathrisis for the daily exposure.

Pontificating is my short suit.

Thanks for the forum

Ed Coltirn