[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rachmaninov Prelude [Russian Rag]

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 19 23:20:11 PDT 2004

Dear Glen,
What you did not spell out is that the 'little jingle' on that Duke
Ellington Jazz Archive LP JA-13 was in fact "Prelude In 'C' Sharp Minor" and
not "Russian Rag", the subject (I thought) of the thread.
Sorry about that dear friend.
I was going to add to the thread anyway, so hope that you do not mind me
using my reply to you to do it.
We here in Oz have been playing "Russian Rag" (1919. George L Cobb)  for
years.
Graeme Bell piano solo in April 1953
Frank Traynor's Jazz Preachers in 1962
The Fortified Few in 1983
The New Wolverine Jazz Orchestra in 1995.
Last year our cltist Jack Wiard added it to the repertoire of our little pub
band.
But it goes back a lot further and the Jim Europe record  for Pathe in March
1919 is on IAJRC CD 1012.
Other versions include: Earl Fuller's Jazz Band (1920)
Arthur Young, in London. (1935)
Donald Lambert (1961) on IAJRC LP 23
Max Morath (1967) featuring bjoist Jim Tyler. A Vanguard CD.
And versions by Dick Wellstood in 1970-71, 1977 and 1986.
Englishman Duncan Swift did it in 1990.
Notwithstanding the talent of pianist Lou Busch, his work as Joe Fingers
Carr on the Capitol 1950s release of his 'honky tonk' piano version of
"Russian Rag" (which I have on LP) is not in the same street as any of the
above.
Oh. There is even an Ivor Moreton and Dave Kaye rendition on English
Parlophone!
What about it John Farrell. How about a midi version?
There is a piano roll version (QRS, I think) by Max Kortlander on a Folkways
LP RBF 43.
Very kind regards,
Bill.