[Dixielandjazz] Wellstood-Rachmaninoff nexus?

Dick Baker box2 at twotonbaker.com
Thu Aug 19 13:02:48 PDT 2004

Dan Spink wrote, "I read a story  once of a well known ragtime performer
playing Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor in ragtime, in the presence of
the great composer himself, who later came up and commented; "Nice melody
but you got the rhythm all wrong."

Rick Kittle responded, "I believe that player of Rachmaninoff was Dick
Wellstood."

Wellstood was pretty precocious, but Rachmaninoff died in 1943, making this
unlikely.

   Dick Baker - Falls Church, Virginia, USA
             box2 at twotonbaker.com