[Dixielandjazz] Re:WHERE DO WE DRAW THE OKOM LINE?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Aug 18 18:51:00 PDT 2004

 Louis Lince says:

> Hi Rebecca,
>
> You won't get flack from me. I am a regular recipient of flames from the
> jazz police due to the choice of material that my band plays.We dare to do
> Water Melon Man and St. Thomas, to say nothing of Great Balls Of Fire.
It's
> how you play it.
>
> Glad to hear that heavy metal is still alive and appreciated in Flower
> Mound.

Louis, that is just it.  It is all in how you play it.

What Rebecca said was,

"> > I enjoy Dire Straits, Aerosmith, Guns 'n Roses and bands of that
sort...

Those bands are not playing anything resembling OKOM, Jazz, Swing, or even
modern Jazz.  It is noise, loud, distorted, non-musical, NOISE.

Maybe you can take one of their songs, use Dixieland instrumentation & make
something out of it, but I doubt that it will be worth much.

--Bob
Placerville, CA  USA