[Dixielandjazz] Re: WHERE DO WE DRAW THE OKOM LINE?

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Aug 18 12:45:55 PDT 2004

In a message dated 8/18/04 12:11:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mophandl at landing.com writes:

> NOT to draw a line between this kind of jazz and that played by Ornette
> Coleman, later Miles Davis, and John Coltrane is being just plain silly.

I would tend to agree with that statement Don, but I think the original posts
was simply asking where do we draw the line on OKOM , not Dixieland.  We all
have different ideas about what OKOM is which is fine.

In my opinion Coleman and Davis and Coltrane, all brilliant musicians are the
epitome of none swingers as of the way I personally define Swingers.  Highly
musically educated musicians are often educated beyond their intelligence, and
certainly the musical intelligence of the average common man in the audience.
 This leaves them basically suited to perform and be appreciated almost
exclusively by the academic set and musicians of their own ilk.   But Swing, not
from a Rope, :)

Much of their music to the common audience sounds like continuous stimulation
with no idea how or when to ever let go and have that ever elusive musical
orgasm.  On the other hand the Real Swinging Musicians give the audience the
titillation in the first sixteen bars and then send em off into a musical climax
on the turn around.  :))

I learned if you open strong and convincingly with a song and close strong
and convincingly it really does not matter much what you play in the middle or
doodling with solos.

Some Dixieland Swings, and Some does not, some players play swinging
Dixieland that does not swing because they cannot swing.  Simple as that.  You either
do or you don't and I don't care if you have a PHD in musicology and a masters
degree in Music if you can't Swing you can't Swing.  It is something that
comes from within those musicians blessed with the ability to do so.   I don't
think you can teach a musician how to SWING, he has to feel it and experiment
until he or she can let loose all the technical inhibitions and play the tunes
from the heart with fire in their belly and not from the fake book or carefully
arranged charts.   Swinging is all about communicating with the audience and
the other musicians to create that great group musical orgasm.

Now that ought to stimulate some interesting posts.  :)

Running for cover, :)

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins