[Dixielandjazz] Music I like (was "what is OKOM?)

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 10:33:55 PDT 2004

Listmates,

OKOKOK . . .

I love dixieland and trad jazz. I love Lu and Turk. I love playing in the
Boondockers and in the Cell Block 7.

BUT -- If I had my life to live over I'd wanna be a piano player in a
western band

AND -- My favorite of favorites in the way of a musical genre is

   ------->  BLUEGRASS  <-------

But I won't stop there.

I also love Grand Opera, and all classical music up until World War Two.

Serious contemporary music is, to me, just so much sound effects and atonal
crap that pseudo aficionados love to hear while they furrow their brows in
rapt concentration as if they're having the ultimate satori . . . other than
that it's ok -     :-)

I also love (in music):

klezmer
Andean folklorico with pan pipes, etc.
Elevator music (really . . . say what you will, elevator music does sooth
the savage beast)
Irish lilting
jug band music
Barbershop
Rock and roll (Presley, Orbison, Darren, etc.)
choral music and madrigals
Gilbert and Sullivan
Big Band Swing

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I don't like Karlheinz Stockhausen, Steve Reich and their ilk" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail

ps.  All the above represent personal tastes, not critiques of any specific
art form.