[Dixielandjazz] Bryan Ferry

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 14:58:34 PDT 2004

John Said
>On a radio programme I've just heard Bryan Ferry singing Love Me Or Leave
>Me - it was absolutely AWFUL!!
It is of course fashionable for pop stars to 'do' the jazz album. I've not
heard Ferry, but I did see the Robbie Williams concert on TV and expected
not to approve. In the end, I thought he did a good job. He could phrase and
sing in tune, but when he was compared to Sinatra, he was of course blown
away.
I also heard Rod Stewart and was  amazed.?!*!!!!!........

The current crop of young 'so called' jazz stars suffer a similar fate. I
have watched Jamie Culham and wondered how he gets away with such poor
pitching. I also notice how uncomfortable he appears to be with a swinging
4/4 rhythm and how he tries to get into a rock or latin beat as often and as
quickly as he can. Much of it must come back to roots.
An exception to this is Diana Kral, who has a good voice, a good feel and
swings, although I believe she may be moving towards more pop orientated
material - pity.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com