[Dixielandjazz] [Fwd: Re: A Little Help]

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 15 19:45:21 PDT 2004

TCASHWIGG at aol.com wrote: (polite snip)

About sending CDs, no charge, to a radio station in Rural Brazil

> Carlos does not even have to ask me, Mine will be posted to him Monday
> Morning, For me $2.00 for the two CDs Five bucks for Global Priority
> Mail, Since I plan on touring in Brazil in he near future I figure if
> it brings one person out to see us and they buy a CD I made a profit
> on the deal and they always do.
>
> In these days of Clear Channel controlling the jazz stations we all
> need to service any and all station request that we get like this to
> keep this music viable and getting exposure.

Not only that, but you will find that good deeds come back to you. I
sent some free CDs to a small station in the Seattle area 6 months ago.
(Seattle is 2800 miles from me) Got a call from there last month. Girl
heard Black & Blue on the CD and asked if we did weddings? She is
originally from this area and getting married 20 miles from my house
next Spring. Booked the band for a sum equivalent to what playing at 3
different OKOM festivals would net, and sent a non-refundable deposit.

So much for kids not spending money on OKOM. ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. We're big in Seattle wedding band circles. This is the second
wedding we are playing for people living in that area. First one two
years ago was for the daughter of one of Philadelphia's Main Line rich
and anonymous. She heard us live at Longwood Gardens (her family is is
BIG sponsor there) on a visit here to see her folks. And yes, these are
JAZZ weddings. We do a bunch every year.