[Dixielandjazz] Re: Conductors (was The Music Business Changes Constantly)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 14 17:28:58 PDT 2004

Dear Tom,
Regarding your comment: > Better yet fire the Conductor.... nobody can hear
his part anyway. Always did think that was a cool job,  Put on a Tuxedo,
Wave a stick around and get paid a lot of money, and you get to be the
biggest snob in the band.....<

Reminds me of the story about the formation of the Bob Crosby band in 1935.
When the ex-Ben Pollack musicians formed a cooperative to start the band and
selected Bing's young brother to front it, Bob said that he was a bit
apprehensive, as he had never conducted a big band before.
To which drummer Ray Bauduc replied "Don¹t' worry about that sonny, you just
stand there and wave the stick. I'll keep the time".
And certainly did!
Very kind regards,
Bill.