[Dixielandjazz] The Music Business Changes Constantly

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 17:08:24 PDT 2004

In a message dated 8/14/04 7:20:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

>      Not for everybody mon the DJML, but certainly for those band
>      leaders who are thinking ahead. The music business is
>      constantly changing, and so should we. Don't feel sorry for
>      the musos in the NY Philharmonic. Average player there makes
>      $100,000+ per year. Principal players as much as $300,000.
>      Think about that the next time you sell your services for $50.
>

> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Yeah, but these guys have the wrong attitude about being a working
professional musician Steve.  The do not understand that is more Cool to have 43 weeks
of vacation a year than only 9 that they get with their contract.

If they are having budget problems, perhaps they should do what the Dixieland
Bands do, play gigs with less players.  ( Hence our past discussion about 3
piece Authentic Dixieland Bands).  Heck who's gonna miss ten or fifteen violin
players anyway? Cut the Timpani Drummer he only plays a few bars a week
anyway.  If they cut back the reed section there would be a lot more Clarinet and
Sax players available to play Jazz gigs.   Better yet fire the Conductor and
divide his salary up amongst the players, nobody can hear his part anyway.
Always did think that was a cool job,  Put on a Tuxedo, Wave a stick around and
get paid a lot of money, and you get to be the biggest snob in the band and play
the entire gig with you back to the audience, and he gets to Fly First Class.
 Now that's what I call a COOL GIG MAN.

You could tour twenty or thirty great Dixieland Bands just on what they get
as per diem's
on tour.

Perhaps the Dixieland bands could get up a new marketing program,  "Will work
for FOOD"

:)

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins