[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sacramento Jazz Jubilee

LeslieMRag at aol.com LeslieMRag at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 19:37:17 PDT 2004

Hi, Listmates:

Just wanted to point out that The Mississippi Rag didn't participate in the
bad publicity for the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee. We've always had a supportive
attitude toward Roger Krum and the Jubilee, going all the way back to when Bill
Borcher started the event. We didn't get into the flap about Jubilee finances
because we are too far away and too limited in staff to get into investigative
journalism, and we don't believe in commenting on anything unless we are
provided with hard evidence. Our experience with the Jubilee has been consistently
positive, so we weren't about to attack without good reason. We figured that
those most involved in the Jubilee would act like the intelligent adults they
are and come up with appropriate answers to solve the problem because they
knew that the Jubilee would otherwise fold. Obviously, the right answers were
found by the right people, and I'm very pleased to hear that all went well. We
plan to run a great photofeature on the 2004 Jubilee in our upcoming RAG.

Carol Leigh laughingly said to me years ago that I could launch "The
Mississippi Enquirer" because I knew where all the bodies were buried, and it's true
that there are an astonishing number of spats, animosities, jealousies,
misunderstandings, and unfounded rumors that we hear about in the RAG office
(sometimes from callers who want us to fight their battles for them but won't identify
themselves). As we see it (and the "we" is basically me and my sister, Jody),
The Mississippi Rag is a MUSIC publication, not a daily general newspaper or
prime-time news show, and we aren't going to use valuable space on stories we
can't verify when we could be devoting that space to Jelly Roll Morton. If
legal action is taken and documentation is provided regarding something of
interest to our readers, we will report it, but we don't get involved in cat fights
or "he said, she said" battles. There are simply too many of them.

And, in nearly every hassle we've witnessed, we've had good friends on both
sides, so we don't see the combatants as wearing white hats or black hats.
Basically, we believe that the trad jazz/ragtime world is populated by decent
folks who sometimes shoot themselves in the foot and/or get caught up in turf
wars. Certainly we care when people or organizations are hurting personally or
financially, but we know our limits in determining the truth and that guides our
response. There are legal options for serious problems, and there are
diplomatic options for personality differences. Happily, the Sacramento Jubilee
exercised the best option of all--common sense--and got all their ducks in line. I'm
hopeful that another organization that's fallen on hard times, the American
Federation of Jazz Societies, can do the same.

Leslie Johnson
editor at mississippirag.com OR
lesliemrag at aol.com