[Dixielandjazz] Re: Midiri Brothers

Beth V bethv at portafortuna.com
Tue Aug 10 12:44:45 PDT 2004

Thanks for the reassuring comments, Steve. I wasn't worried that they wouldn't do well - I already have a CD and love their music - but what I was glad to hear was that other festival goers felt the same way.

We changed our name from "DixieJazz" to "Vintage Jazz" this year in the hopes that we could entice more people to come by expanding the style of music that will be presented, while at the same time not wanting to lose the die-hard Traditional Jazz lovers. We feel we've got a dynamite line-up, both in the Trad department, and in our "expanded" genre area that includes two swing-era bands (Midiri Brothers and Sister Swing), a Django Reinhart style band (the Hot Club of San Francisco), and two earlier-than-trad orchestras (Pacific Coast Ragtime Orchestra and the San Francisco Starlight Orchestra, a Paul Whiteman era orchestra). We defined "Vintage" as pre 1950's, with only acoustic instrumentation.

Our trad lineup is top-of-the-line, with Buck Creek, High Sierra, Bob Schultz's Frisco Jazz Band, Titanic, Clint Baker's Cafe Borrone All Stars, Uptown Lowdown, Cell Block 7, Devil Mountain, the Southtown Strummers, and last (but NEVER least), the infamous Boondockers. (These were in random order as they came off the top of my memory stack, except for the Boondockers, which I had to save for last so I could comment on them). We also have two great youth bands that we hope will be inspired by the incredible music they will hear when they aren't playing their own. I can't imagine anyone complaining about the lineup even if they are die-hard trad fans, but you never know sometimes.

That's why I was glad to hear how well the Midiri Brothers are being received at other Left Coast festivals.

If you can grab a good deal on Southwest, why not fly out for a great Labor Day weekend music feast?

By the way - any DJML'ers interested in a F2F at the festival? Let me know and I'll try to figure out a good time and place.

Getting excited!

Beth