[Dixielandjazz] Midiri Brothers

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 07:06:56 PDT 2004

Some are hearing the Midiri Brothers for the first time or have booked
them and wonder how they will do.

IMO, they will do GREAT. Clarinetist Joe Midiri is a virtuoso and twin
brother Paul on vibes or trombone is not far behind. They've been wowing
audiences here in the Eastern USA for about 15 years now.

As far as the left coast OKOM world goes, it seems as if they've finally
been discovered. ;-) VBG

They do a Benny Goodman sextet tribute that is as good as a tribute can
get and they SELL their performances to the audiences. Beth V, they will
do you proud. All west coast reed men with no gig that weekend should
make it a point to fall by, hear Joe and get a lesson in both how to
play the music and how to present it.

Not unlike a LARGE number of great jazz musicians here on the East Coast
where as far as the USA is concerned, jazz lives. Last time I counted,
there were over 40 jazz venues in NYC and 12 of those were OKOM venues
presenting bands on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Be sure and say hello to their drummer Jim Lawlor for me. Just say
"John Roebling" and you'll get a surprised grin. ;-) VBG