[Dixielandjazz] Copyright - "Copywrong"?

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 10:08:09 PDT 2004

robert.smith at mitransport.no writes:

> Judging by some of the tunes I know, I don't see how anyone manages to
> establish copyright.
> Take a tune like "High Society". This has been variously attributed to (and
> probably copyrighted by) King Oliver, Clarence Williams, A.J. Piron, Walter
> Melrose, and Roy Palmer, whereas it was almost certainly written by military
> band musician Porter Steele.
> It is even worse when there are two different tunes bearing the same name,
> e.g. the barn dance "Ballin' The Jack" and the jazz tune of the same name
> (also called "Ballin' A Jack").
> The barn dance version has been attributed to Chris Smith, or Moore, or
> Unknown.

> The jazz version was attributed to Clark.
> I'm glad I won't be paying the legal fees if anyone brought a lawsuit for
> these tunes, and certainly many others like them.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bob

Hi Bob & All:

It is a diabolical conspiracy contrived many years ago by slickster lawyers
in the publishing business to collect copyright  filing fees and off the naive
songwriters and musicians for alledged (Protection) .

The truth is very simple:

You can fill out a form and write ANYTHING YOU want on it listing you as the
author  and or arranger, words and or lyrics.  Attach a check for the Fees and
I guarantee you you will get a receipt for filing it with the office of
copyright which is basically all it's worth unless someone gets a million
selliinghit off of it and they discover that you stole the song or enough of a part of
it to infringe upon the other five hundred guys who filed a copyright on it.

Don't believe me, folks, write an original composition and file it and wat
about six months and try to check on it with the office of copyrights,   They
have a very very  very large file cabinet, full of all the songs and sheet music
they have collected over the years with checks attached,   Most of the money
they collect goes to pay the rent on the buildings that hold the file
cabinets, and of course the salaries and heavy expenses of the guy who takes all those
checks to the bank, and the bevy of copyright lawyers on their staff with
mandatory obligations to have lunch every day with ASCAP lawyers, and Dinner
meetings with BMI lawyers.

Send em your money if ya wanna, but me I figue I have as much chance of
getting any money from them as I do winning that International Lottery, which is
getting better, I have been notified six times this month that I won it, but I
can't figure out which one I won because I didn't buy a ticket. :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

I wrote it, it's for sale, and if you want a copy, make me an offer I'll sell
it cheap, all forms of Whiskey, Wine and Beer shall be considered legal
tender and acceptable.