[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jubilee

Ken Gates keng at iswest.com
Fri Aug 6 20:35:08 PDT 2004

Listmates---
Careening  in from my lurking hideout.  I've attended the Sac fest
for the past ten years.  I happen to think it is a great event.
With over a hundred musical groups, makes sense to me to have
a variety.  The shuttle system works pretty well, but I don't move
around very much.  Here's why.  I'm fortunate in that I enjoy and
appreciate almost all the styles.  But I'm drawn to the all-star
"mainstreamers" because of their world class talent.  So I hang
out at the Sacramento Inn where they do most (or at least a lot)
of their sessions.  But also available is a "trad" venue where I can
hear some of those good groups. (Grand Dominion, Buck Creek,
Uptown Lowdown, for instance).   And also my favorite "in between"
groups like Chicago Six and Fulton Street.  What can be better than
this, I ask?   I say kudos to the hard working folks that make it
happen!!!!  Incidentally, if I've ever heard "Saints Go Marching In"
at the festival, I sure don't recall it.

As for "Ava Maria" being a jazz tune.  I have it on a Jim Cullum LP.
Done with great taste, and yes it has a jazz feel to it.  Allan Vache
was the clarinetist at that time.

So---off to Orange County (Calif) for some nice music at the Hyatt
Regency.  There's still lots of really good music and excellent
musicians out there to hear----enjoy it while you can.

Ken Gates --lurking in Ventura