[Dixielandjazz] Re: Was Copyright, now; We all sound the same to them!

Tom Wood zenith at ans.com.au
Fri Aug 6 20:27:07 PDT 2004

Dear Dan, Richard & All,

Although with computers and pirate copying its now rapidly becoming changed
days, I never-the-less recommend the reading of a non-fiction book called
HIT MEN to all listers:
Hit Men  NON FICTION
By Fredric Dannen 1990 & 2000

ISBN 0 09 981310 6

Vintage edition 1991

A book about the entertainment industry and star making machinery revealing
the seamy side of the music business.

The decision-makers don't really seem to know or care much about the music
itself; they could be selling soap or ice to the Eskimos.  One pioneering
record company liked to buy up copyrights precisely because it was a way to
make money without putting up with artistic temperament and they never talk
back to you.  The most powerful executives in the music business are tone
deaf with the ability NOT to make a hit but to prevent one.  Dannen got the
inside story.

It has 44 pages of Debts & Sources at the back - its a wonder that the guy
got it published and stayed alive !!
Jukebox Mafiosi / Disc Jockey bribe-takers / Bloodletting Rock Warlords /
Payola / New York Bred Jews rig the airways / etc. etc.  Every comment is
backed by proof cross references (including court cases) against each
chapter.

Agent Tom (O Lord Give Me A Bastard With Talent) Wood :))

Jazz types/places/songs mentioned include:
Count Basie / Tony Bennett / Birdland / Miles Davis / Sammy Davis / Duke
Ellington / Mahalia Jackson / Lullaby of Birdland / Van Morrison / Rhythm
and Blues / Diana Ross / George Shearing /  Frank Sinatra / Nancy Sinatra /
Bessie Smith / Barbra Streisand / Tijuana Brass / Dionne Warwick / plus
nearly every rock star you can think of.