[Dixielandjazz] Re: DIXIELAND FESTIVALS

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Thu Aug 5 16:34:25 PDT 2004

Dan says....
   > such festivals are (still) increasing in number.

That could be one of the reasons some festivals are having a drop in
attendance.  It doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with your
festival.  It's competition.
Air fare, hotels, meals, festival fees (which have been increasing
markedly), make attending a festival a pretty expensive weekend.  How many
can do them more than a few times a year?  Do you eat at the same restaurant
everytime you go out?  Probably not.  I imagine people will follow their
favorite performers around, and possibly look for a festival that features
the ones they know.  You can find one or more festivals just about every
weekend.  Is the trad audience large enough to support all of them?....time
will tell.  It's going to take some savvy management to keep a festival from
losing money.  I would guess some of them will fail unless they have strong
support from the local business community.
       The increased number of festivals means you may have a new one you
can drive to, rather than fly; meaning you may give one up you previously
attended.
       Pat Cooke