[Dixielandjazz] Of Dixieland and Frogs...

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Thu Aug 5 15:47:38 PDT 2004

How does one know that slowly raising the temperature will work? Has anybody
actually tried to boil a frog? Wouldn't placing a lid on the kettle be of
greater importance than how fast the water is brought to boil?

The fundamentals of the music we call OKOM (but the rest of world knows as
"Dixieland") were pretty well established by the late 1920's. The music has
dropped out of fashion numerous times since then. Each time it happens it
gives us an opportunity to "revive" it once more.

My introduction to Dixieland was by learning a Pete Fountain solo on "Tiger
Rag" more than 30 years ago. Somebody heard me working on it and informed me
that Dixieland was dying and had no future. It was another musician -- good
thing I didn't listen to him.

-- Paul Edgerton, who still enjoys what life is left in Dixieland