[Dixielandjazz] Letter on Sacramento Jubilee

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Wed Aug 4 22:28:52 PDT 2004

Re: Sacramento Bee...

   The writer of the letter may have a few good points, but I'll bet he's no
older than 30 something.  He/She is not even aware that "traditional jazz"
is PC for dixieland.
    Well, the reasons I never have attended Sacto are:
    1) It's too spread out. I envision spending too much time riding a bus,
or waiting for one.
     2) As the writer says, mainstream jazz is all but totally ignored.  I
check the schedule every year, and all I see is trad band after trad band;
plus now they've added zydeco, which I really don't care for.  I would like
about a 50/50 mix of contemporary trad and straight ahead (mainstream) jazz.
As simple as trad is to play, there is a plethora of trad bands, but not
that many are of festival calibre.
      As for other styles the writer mentions, I could do without them.
"Pop jazz" is an oxymoron.
       Pat (either it is, or it ain't) Cooke