[Dixielandjazz] Re: Imitators (Revisited)

Michael Woitowicz banjobarons at nconnect.net
Wed Aug 4 11:40:53 PDT 2004

Listmates,

While I agree that some of the Armstrong Imitators are done poorly or even
overdone, some of Imitators that have taken their craft to almost an art
form in itself.

For example, at the recent Bix Festival, the Josh Duffee Orchestra did some
outstanding performances of the Jean Goldkette Orchestra -- and packed in
the crowds at each venue. There are several other bands in the OKOM circuit
that "Imitate" the style of Django Reinhardt's Hot Club of France. Pearl
Django (Sp?) is one that I heard at the Central Illinois Jazz fest a year or
so ago, and was very impressive, not only in their imitation of the style,
but in the jazz itself.

Another example that comes to mind is Arturo Sandoval's recent CD "Trumpet
Evolution" which imitates 19 different trumpet "styles". As a result, he has
created a serious work of art.

I'm sure there are many more examples of Imitation which create art as a
result.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
www.banjobarons.com