[Dixielandjazz] Imitators - was Armstrong/Presley imatitors

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 11:19:40 PDT 2004

Yes, OK, no problem. I can dig that.

However, I have seen/heard some excellent imitators of Armstrong. For
example Ella Fitzgerald readily comes to mind. But if one likes the
original, are not ALL of the imitators are somewhat lessor?

I was more interested in why some imitators are OK and others are not.
EG what is the difference between an Armstrong imitator and a King
Oliver imitator? Or a Presley imitator and a Benny Goodman imitator?
They are lots of each categorty around these days.

Personally, as a generalization, I find ALL imitators to be somewhat
less than the originals, unless, like Ella, it is done tongue in cheek
and sparingly.

Why is an Armstrong imitator Liver and Onions and an Oliver imitator
Steak and Single Malt? That is what I am having trouble with.

Cheers,
Steve